Saturday, December 13, 2014

A Moment in Time with John Dunsworth



Canadian actor and unofficial ambassador of the Great White North John Dunsworth is primarily known for his role as Jim Lahey on a little show called Trailer Park Boys. John recently starred in a new documentary entitled Santa Quest, in which he took his charm across the ocean to compete in the annual Santa Games. I had no idea what the hell this consisted of, and I didn‘t really get an answer, but it sure was an honor to talk with him.  


Jim Lahey's favorite Christmas tradition was drinking his Christmas rum, what are some of John Dunsworth's favorite Christmas traditions?
Family of course and forced semi indolence. Maybe do the big turkey dinner dishes and maybe tell stories to the little ones. An reading of Stephen Leacock's HOODOO MCFIGGENS CHRISTMAS to the family is always a treat.


I just Googled Hoodoo Mcfiggens Christmas. I had never heard of it before. I read the entire thing in your voice. The kids must love having you read Christmas stories to them. Speaking of kids, what was your most prized Christmas gift when you were a child?
A lump of coal ( a charcoal briquette )- I thought it was a new fangled hockey puck.
It sounds like you could start a decent Christmas Day bonfire with that lump of coal. 


Now that you've spent some time in Santa Claus' shoes, do you feel like you have a new found respect for what the man goes through
each Christmas eve?
Hate to tell you Jake but there is no Santa Claus.


Wait, wait wait...how is that possible? Where do all the gifts come from then?I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree there, John.
Jim Lahey brings all the presents.

No wonder they always smell like they've been soaked in the cheapest Canadian whiskey
So after watching the trailer for Santa Quest I noticed that you put yourself into a lot of situations where you're being thrown around by a mechanical bull or a sled of some sort. You also display this type of reckless abandonment in Trailer Park Boys, with some of the greatest prat falls I've ever seen. Do you have a background in stunt work?
I've never been paid for stunts but I do them every time the 1st AD lets me get away with it.


In the Trailer Park Boys Christmas Special, Jim Lahey is very confident in his ability to set up a really fantastic light display. Do you share this same passion?
When I was a kid I used to have to hang strings of blue lights from a 50 foot pine tree in our front yard rather than inspire that quenched my desire . My wonderful wife decorates our tree and puts lights and boughs outside.That's all the decoration I need.


It's really a shame that blue colored lights are now tainted for you. If you had to pick one Christmas song to listen to over and over again on Christmas Eve, which song would you choose?
Sting has a christmas album.It's weird but I listen to it a lot.


That's a great choice. I think Sting catches a lot of flack, but Synchronicity was one of my guilty pleasures in high school.The Santa Winter Games are something I‘ve never heard of, would you able to explain to us what happens there? How do you exactly medal at these games?
You have to see the movie.


Ah yes, I understand that you wouldn't want to spoil it for everyone. Thanks John! 

No comments:

Post a Comment